Thursday, September 6, 2012

Moving Forward


By Doug Haberland

With age, I have come to realize that exercise doesn’t happen naturally for me anymore. It is something that I have to work at, but I don’t. I know all the health benefits, but yet seemed to be trapped in a sedentary lifestyle. I’m overweight, out of shape, and I don’t like it. So, I am “saddling up” and taking a trip through the Black Hills. Since I lack motivation, I am using my interest in the Old West and a book, “Exploring with Custer,” to retrace the 833-mile, two-month expedition that George Custer and the 7th Cavalry took into the Black Hills in 1874. I’ll be following the same route, re-reading the book as I go, and tracking my progress.  Who knows? I may find gold!

P.S. The expedition, of course, was done on horseback – so I don’t expect to match Custer’s daily progress.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea as you progress through the miles!

    ReplyDelete